Thursday, November 12, 2015

Sarpe surgery is complete!

Today is one day post op..all went well..here are the details...

I thought I should add some starting photos..so here I am before we left for the hospital..


We arrived at the hospital at 600 am..I was taken back to the prep area within 10 minutes...got changed into a a fabulous hospital gown.  Met with admissions but since I had done the pre testing and admin not really much to cover there.  Surgery was scheduled for 730.  I left the prep area to go to another holding area..this is when Wayne went to the family waiting room.

In the next room I met with Dr Taub, his chief resident, the anesthesiologist, who looked about 15 lol..but obviously knew what she was doing.  We discussed that due to the mouth surgery I would have the tube put in nasally...Dr Taub changed the plan and wanted to go through my mouth....since he would just be working on the top part of my mouth it would not get in the way.  IV was put in and some relaxation meds started.  I was wheeled to the operating room and was met by about 7 people..I have no idea who they all were or what they all do..but they were definitely all busy and has a purpose..the last thing I remember is looking at the clock and it was 725 and thinking..we are going to start right on time!

Surgery lasted about 2 hours.  I woke up about 1100..  Feeling groggy of course..and of course couldnot wait to see the gap in my teeth...I was getting pain meds through the iv..pain was not bad atall..I had a humidifier on my mouth and nose to keep thing from drying out....also a ice pack around my face..which Dr Taub later told me was in the completely wrong place...
This is how I had it...

I also have a suction tube like at the dentist..this is a life saver..which I could take it home with me..
But it really needed to be across my face over just my upper jaw since that is where the work was done.  It was time to move to a room but it was going to take a while so they let Wayne come and say hello in the recovery room..

Finally got assigned a room about 2pm.  Wayne met me at the room ..Dr Taub stopped by and said everything went great and gave me some instructions about eating.  At this point I mostly just slept
..Wayne hung out with me until about 600.. Dinner arrived..delicious liquid diet..

I was able to drink it all so felt a little better after that.

Nurses checked in about every hour to take vitals..I attempted to fall asleep about 1100 but not much sleep..I just couldn't get comfortable..and I have a roommate who need to ring the nurse about every two hours to go to the restroom..the resident on the overnight came by about 1100 to take a look and be sure everything looked good and was amazed at how good I looked!
Here I am at the end of day 1..not too bad..


He came back about 500 am to check again and told me all the residents would be doing their rounds and would be back in about an hour..

The whole team came back about 630 including Dr Palermo..who is Dr Taub's chief resident and assisted in surgery..

And here I am today! Waiting for mom to come pick me up and head home to my own bed...


No comments:

Post a Comment