Sunday, November 1, 2015

RPE placed

Friday Oct 23 I went to the ortho to have some spacers put  in to make room for the RPE device.  The spacers would stay in until the device is placed on Tuesday.  The spacers kind of feel like a piece of meat stuck between your teeth which is annoying.

Tuesday Oct 27 I went to the ortho which I was told would be a 20 minute visit...90 minutes later I was on my way back to work.  It was a bit off a challenge getting the device placed.  Since both of the teeth the device would be hooked to are crowns it was a little hard.  The crowns need to be filed down to make the brackets fit.  Finally here was enough space and we were set to move forward and cement the device into place. I am already planning that these two crown will need to be replaced when I am all done.

So more about the RPE device...wow..uncomfortable and annoying...trying to figure out how to eat is quite a challenge.   It is amazing how much you need the roof of your mouth to swallow.  I almost choked the first few times I tried to eat anything.  Then made  a very bad decision to have tacos for dinner....what??? So here are the challenges. You cannot really feel your teeth - specifically the ones where the brackets are which mean you cannot really tell how well you have chewed your food.  It was definitely scary to swallow a chip for fear of it getting stuck and choking.  So cross chips off the list or anything that is hard.  I even tried a tiny piece of bacon...not fun..I will miss bacon for the next few months.  Biting anything hard hurts so pasta has seemed to be best and since I love pasta I was OK with that.   Swallowing has become a little easier but best to keep a glass of water near by to wash everything down that gets stuck around the device.

I have been reading a lot of other blogs to get as much info as I can.  One comment that I feel summed up eating was that..eating as become so much effort that you don't even want to eat.  Besides that I cannot eat what I want and have to think about everything I eat and whether I can eat it or not. Also you cannot really taste your food.  You have to get the food right to you back teeth..be sure you chew and swallow..so the food barely comes In contact with your tongue...so the taste buds miss out. It will be a tough year for the foodie in me.

I did have pancakes for breakfast this morning and they were a good choice and easy to eat so they stay on the list..

The list of things I can eat so far
Smoothies
Pancakes
Yogurt
Pudding
Pasta
To get a little crunchiness toasted crackers are good..not too hard
Medium hard cheese

Pizza for dinner tonight..not too bad..cut up in small pieces of course.

Here is a video showing this surgery.

SARPE surgery





No comments:

Post a Comment