Friday, February 19, 2016

Braces day 1! Ouch!

I am just about 24 hours into my new braces and it has been a pretty uncomfortable 24 hours...I wanted to used the word  torturous  but That seemed a little dramatic...

I went and took a yoga class and listened to some meditation while I was in the chair to help relax.  I think it helped.

The process itself is pretty uncomfortable.  They put in  little cheek protectors and plastic mouth opener in your mouth to keep you mouth open, teeth visable and dry. I have quite a few crowns so they had to be prepped first.  The bonding material is not really made to bond to unnatural material.  It is made to bond  to natural porous enamel... So my first though is..why isn't anyone capitalizing on this and making a bonding agent for ceramic crowns? So there was a lot of prep work.  Dr Tunjay prepped the crowns...the assistant did some other prep on all my teeth then Dr Tunjay came back and started placing the braces.  Each braces is placed individually and bonded to each tooth...then everything finally can be removed and I can brush the taste out of my mouth and of course get my first glimpse in the mirror...it actually was not as bad as I thought it would be.

Then the wires were placed.  They were with pretty light wires for the first set.  Mostly concerned with the braces coming off of the crowns.  I was told that they do have a tendency to come off and I should not eat anything harder than mashed potatoes..not quite sure I was ready for that info...so back to soft foods I go.

I felt pretty good the first hour.  I had started with Advil in the morning to prepare but by the end of the day I was feeling pretty uncomfortable.  I slept ok and I am continuing Tylenol extra strength every 4 hours but still feeling pretty uncomfortable feeling my teeth getting pulled ...

1 comment: